The mission of ALRI is to provide a venue for the growth and encouragement of artists, to promote high standards in the visual arts, and to encourage community participation and appreciation of the greater Rhode Island arts community.
ALRI partners with like-minded organizations and leverages resources to enrich lives and build communities by making art more accessible and offering opportunities for public engagement. In doing so, ALRI is also a platform for individual artist development and success.
The membership is deeply committed to the value of visual art in contemporary life and embraces current approaches to curatorial programming, community-building, art education, and outreach to under-served communities.
In 2000, Nancy Gaucher-Thomas and Mark Simmons invited 42 known artists to become the founding members of Art League of Rhode Island (ALRI). Gaucher-Thomas, President Emerita, served as president for the first six years.
ALRI is an all-volunteer organization governed by a board of directors elected by the membership at the ALRI annual meeting. The business status is domestic nonprofit corporation registered in the state of RI ( 501(c)(3)).
Since its founding, ALRI has reached these milestones in developing a statewide presence in the arts community of Rhode Island:
- ALRI relocated business office to One Avenue of the Arts, Providence, RI – 2014
- Partnered with The VETS Foundation to bring a gallery and curated exhibits to the Veterans Memorial Auditorium, Providence, RI – 2014
- Iona Blake Dobbins Scholarship Fund for the Visual Arts was established at the Rhode Island Foundation (RIF) – 2013
- Malcolm Grear, Malcolm Grear Designers, created ALRI logo – 2011
- ALRI, fiscal agent for and joint sponsor of the RI Art Archive Project (RIAAP), produced and directed by Artist Member Holly Gaboriault – 2010
- ALRI partnered with Executive Service Corps in the development of its second strategic plan – 2006
- ALRI receives Rhode Island Foundation grant to establish and coordinate a rotating exhibit in The Rhode Island Foundation Gallery and throughout its building – 2000-2006
- Two-year community outreach Boot Project initiated by Artist Member Johanna McKenzie. Timberland Company provided the boots and art supplies. Fourteen ALRI artists engaged 80 Central Falls High School (CFHS-RI) students over the course of two years in creating marvelous designs on the boots. The project yielded $6000 for scholarships in support of under-served students – 2005
- ALRI partnered with Business Volunteers for the Arts® in its first strategic plan – 2003
- Three-year mural project with Hasbro Children’s Hospital Oncology Unit–Hall of Masters, Past and Present created by ten ALRI Artist Members – 2001
- Collaborated with South County Hospital in Wakefield, on a project similar to Hall of Masters – 2003
ALRI represents over 100 living Artist Members, hailing from 32 of the 39 cities and towns throughout the state of Rhode Island, and benefits from the additional support of over 50 Associate Members.
- Artist Members range from contemporary and traditional in subject and from emerging to nationally recognized in experience
- ALRI artists are represented in museums, galleries and collections across the country and abroad and in our artist-member catalogs (published 2003, 2006, 2010, 2015*)
BOARD OF DIRECTORS (2016-2017)
- Paulette Miller, Interim President
- Nancy Gaucher-Thomas, Interim Vice President
- Ken Steinkamp, Interim 2nd Vice President
- Melissa Benoit, Treasurer
- Ruth Clegg, Secretary
- Karen Rand Anderson
- Barnet (Bunny) Fain
- Jen Ferry
- Victoria Guerina
- Jesse Hernandez
- David Kendrick
- Stephen Metcalf
- Ellen Matesanz
- Paul M. Murray
- Pamela Neal
- ALRI, One Avenue of the Arts, Providence, RI 02903. email@example.com
- PH 401-861-0500
- Find ALRI on Facebook and LinkedIn
- Follow ALRI on Twitter